Adrian Shellard, for University of Calgary International
April 30, 2019
Champions of internationalization recognized for their impact
University of Calgary Internationalization Achievement Award winners honoured for excellence
On April 29, individuals from across campus and the Calgary community came together to celebrate the winners of the University of Calgary Internationalization Achievement Awards. The event recognizes and celebrates the outstanding contributions of students, faculty, staff and community members in progressing our institutional commitment to excellence in internationalization, and achieving the goals set in our International Strategy.
“This annual event highlights how internationalization is more than just an institutional strategy — it is also core to our university’s values,” says UCalgary President Ed McCauley. “The University of Calgary derives great strength from our global partnerships, exchanges and development efforts. Internationalization has brought a diversity of ideas, education, cultures and talent to the UCalgary campus, and I’m happy to see our champions of internationalization being recognized for their impact.”
In 2018, 26.8 per cent of graduate students and 9.2 per cent of undergraduate students were international; over 1,100 students enjoy an international learning experience annually and UCalgary has 489 active agreements in 61 countries (2017-2018).
“The internationalization achievement awards is a great opportunity to celebrate some of our international champions and thank them for their commitment and dedication to internationalization on our campus, in our city and around the world,” says Dr. Janaka Ruwanpura, vice-provost (international). “We set out on an ambitious journey to internationalize UCalgary over five years ago, and we are now an award-winning leader in internationalization thanks to the hard work of passionate individuals like these.”
Internationalization champions who were recognized at the event:
- Academic Staff Award (Experienced): Dr. Debra Isaac, MD, clinical professor, Cumming School of Medicine
- Academic Staff Award (New): Dr. Fenner Stewart, PhD, associate professor, Faculty of Law
- Student Award (Domestic Undergraduate): Kate Cherednichenko, Haskayne School of Business
- Student Award (International Undergraduate): Haoze Zhang, Faculty of Science
- Student Award (Domestic Graduate): Ismat Ali, Cumming School of Medicine
- Student Award (Domestic Graduate): Sophie Hu, Cumming School of Medicine
- Student Award (International Graduate): Alejandra Enriquez Garcia, Faculty of Science
- International Program Award: Qatar Study Abroad, Faculty of Nursing
- Staff Award: Garrett Beatty, adviser intercultural programs, Student and Enrolment Services
- Staff Award: Dan McFadyen, executive fellow, School of Public Policy
- Community Member Award: Joseph Leung, president and CEO of Marquis Communities Development Inc. and Environcon Systems
- Career Achievement Award: Dr. Jennifer Brenner, MD, director of global maternal newborn and child health, Cumming School of Medicine
- Career Achievement Award: Dr. Stephen Randall, PhD, faculty professor, Faculty of Arts
The University of Calgary Internationalization Achievement Awards were reignited last year and are becoming a signature event with internationally flavoured food, cultural performances and interactive displays.
This year’s event featured Los Hermanos Cárcamo, guitarists playing Spanish classics; Midnight Taiko Kai, drummers whose songs have strong roots from the Kamikawa region of Hokkaido, Japan; and Asi Es Colombia, showing the cultural richness and variety of dances from Colombia.
The call for applications for the next award ceremony will happen in fall 2019.