April 1, 2019
Apply now for the Dr. Jon Meddings Graduate Student Leadership Award
The Jon Meddings Graduate Student Leadership Award recognizes graduate students that demonstrate outstanding leadership and community engagement primarily affecting graduate students at the Foothills Campus at the University of Calgary. This includes; executive DGA members, committee participants, class representatives, volunteer activities, etc. We are looking to recognize students that continually lead graduate students in various endeavors at the Foothills Campus.
To be eligible an applicant must:
- Be a graduate student enrolled full-time in a graduate program offered at the Foothills campus. This includes students enrolled in a program offered by the Graduate Science Education at the CSM, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine or Biomedical Engineering at the University of Calgary. Students enrolled in the Leaders in Medicine program are eligible while in the graduate school portion of the degree.
- Not have ever received this award previously.
- Not be a current executive member of the Council of Foothills Departmental Graduate Associations (CFD) Consortium or an individual who sits on the CFD awards committee.
- Complete the application form.
- Submit two reference letters highlighting the student’s leadership skills. Referees can be anyone who can speak to your leadership qualities, including but not limited to: peers, postdoctoral fellows, supervisors, DGA member, GPD/GPA. Reference letters must be submitted directly to email@example.com.
- Provide confirmation of full-time enrollment.
- Submit a maximum 4-page CV highlighting student’s commitment to the community and leadership (publications, conference presentations etc. do not need to be included unless relevant).
- Include a bullet point list of leadership within your department, leadership within your institute, leadership within the Foothills Campus and leadership within the university. (Leadership pertaining to graduate students within the Foothills Campus will be given a heavier weighting than that solely affecting the greater University graduate population).
- Submit a maximum 1-page personal statement highlighting your suitability for the award.
- Documents must be submitted as size 12 font, normal margins and line spacing of 1.0 and emailed as a single PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Complete applications meeting the eligibility criteria will be reviewed by the CFD awards committee. The CFD chair will serve as a neutral chair on the awards committee. Award winners will be announced in early June of each year and the award will be presented to the winner at the CFD Welcome BBQ in September.